Guruvayoor in Chavakkad Taluk in Thrissur
District of Kerala wherein Sree Mammiyur Devaswom situates was a
part of Ponnani Taluk under the erstwhile Malabar District of
Madras. The history of Kerala tells the stories of the invasion of
Hyderali and Tippu sultan and the destruction of a good number of
temples in Kerala including the Guruvayoor and Mammiyur Temples.
Consequent on the defeat of Tippu sultan in 1792 AD, the Zamorin
Raja of Kozhikode could regain his supremacy over the region
including the Temples in Guruvayoor. Sree Mammiyur Temple was
brought under the trusteeship and control of the Eralpad Raja, the
second sthani Raja in Zamorinís family. When the Madras HRE Board
came into existence asper Madras HRE Act II of 1927, the Temple came
under the supervisory control of the Madras HRE Board and
transitionally under the Madras HR & CE Act 1951 and further under
the HR & CE (Admn) Dept, Kozhikode since the formation of Kerala in
But during the course of time and due to various social legislations
and lack of proper administration, the Temple got into a poor state
of affairs and therefore a committee consisting of the prominent
local devotees was constituted in the year 1960-61 for the
development activities in Temple. They under took various
development programmes and completed the renovation work and finally
conducted a Naveekaranakalasam in 1996.
In the mean time a Scheme of administration was framed by the HR &
CE (Admn) Department in the year 1991 and the administration was
brought in to a Board of Trustees and the day to day administration
was arranged to be carried out by an Executive Officer appointed by
the Department. The Athirudhra Mahayagnam conducted in the temple
directly by Devaswom in 1997 was a turning point and the temple has
now turned into a great Vedic and ritualistic centre and has
achieved the status of a prominent Mahakshetra in all respects.
The Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments (Administration)
Department under the Government of Kerala was replaced and the
Malabar Devaswom Board came into existence on 2nd October 2008. Now
this Temple is coming under the Malabar Devaswom Board having Head
quarters at Kozhikode. The day to day administration is carried out
by the Executive Officer appointed by the Malabar Devaswom Board.
The Present trustee board take charge on 11 january 2011.